EDU 620 Introduction to Educational Research
Presentation Study Guide 6.1
EDU 620 INTRODUCTION TO EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH
Lesson 6: Educational Research Designs
Part 1: Experimental Designs
OUTLINE FOR TAKING NOTES
- Introduction to educational research designs
- Experimental design
- Elements of experimental design
- Random assignment
- Manipulation of treatment conditions
- Control over extraneous variables
- Pretests and posttests
- True experimental design
- Quasi experimental design
- Why is it important to be able to identify various research designs in education?
- How are experimental designs used in educational research?
- What are the main elements of experimental research design?
- What is random selection?
- What is random assignment and how does it differ from random selection?
- What is manipulated in an experimental research design?
- What is controlled in an experimental research design?
- What is the purpose of pretests and posttests in experimental design?
- What conditions are necessary for true experimental designs?
- Why do educational researchers sometimes use quasi experimental designs?